A Natural History and Hiking Guide to 35 Conifers of the Klamath Mountain Region
This superb book is an innovative natural history and hiking guide that uses conifers as a lens to explore the astounding plant diversity in the Klamath Mountains. Author/publisher Michael Kauffmann introduces readers to the magic of this little known botanical wonderland through:
- The most accurate range maps ever created for conifers in northwestern California and southwestern Oregon.
- Lively species descriptions.
- Color plates to assist in identifying 35 conifers.
- 29 hike descriptions with clear maps, most with elevation profile charts, encouraging readers to go out and explore this botanical wonderland.
- Stunning photos from across the Klamath Mountain region.
Who will benefit from reading Conifer Country? Plant lovers, hikers and backpackers — for novice and expert botanist alike. Ideal for people who want to get out in the field, explore wild places, and understand why the Klamath Mountain region nurtures unique plant diversity.
The supporting website, conifercountry.com, has abundant info for conifer lovers, with password-protected sections for book buyers. Beautifully printed on 100% recycled paper.
“John Muir would have loved his book . . . Michael’s attitude toward the trees is very much in Muir’s tradition, seeing them not just as objects of study — ‘plants,’ part of ‘the scenery,’ but as highly evolved beings, companions and friends on the path of life. . . . Anyone who wants to know why the region’s biodiversity is considered a biotic treasure [should] take some of the hikes Conifer Country recommends.”
– David Rains Wallace, author of The Klamath Knot and many other books on natural history
2012, 206 pages, 5.5" x 8.5", full-color cover, 56 black & white photographs, 78 color photographs, 3 color maps, 65 black & white maps, 3 tables, 3 other illustrations, glossary, bibliography.
Published by Backcountry Press.
ISBN 978-0-578-09416-8. trade paper
Bored Feet is not currently accepting retail orders. We will still be filling wholesale orders for the foreseeable future. We apologize for any inconvenience.