Bored Feet Press: Books and Maps for California and the West
Outdoor Recreation * Travel * Adventure * Nature * History * Poetry * Food & Wine
Let's go hiking...
...throughout California , the West, and exotic locales.
New and Exciting from Bored Feet:
This essential new edition includes many updates and new trails. Includes all the classic hikes and many new hikes, plus updates to our marvelous Mendocino Coast trail system.
We have fully revised, updated and expanded this essential guide to the hikes of Humboldt and Del Norte counties, the majestic land behind the Redwood Curtain.
Discover the hidden beauty of the Eastern Sierra's wondrous canyons with Sierra native Sharon Giacomazzi as your guide. She details local history, campgrounds, resorts, where to find the best wildflower blooms, autumn color displays and waterfalls, and more
This handsome and handy guide covers thirteen dramatic eastside Sierra Canyons. Starting around the spectacular forks of Bishop Canyon, Sharon divulges a wealth of hikes both popular and obscure, then continues south to include hikes near Mount Whitney.
Sharon Giacomazzi loves to tell history tales and she loves to hike. She combines these passions in an enthralling guide to the glorious Central Sierra, presenting more than 60 fun excursions. Updated for 2013.
A riveting tale of Sierra adventure, personal tragedy, and personal transformation. After skiing 200 miles along California’s rugged John Muir Trail, Muenchrath faces death from an accident on Mount Whitney.
This book presents the amazing geology of Humboldt County in clear and informative language. It begins deep in the Gorda Trench, where sulfurous steam vents support giant tube worms, then moves on to describe an earthquake before describing the rocks that underlie all this action.
This book provides in depth information about the 65 conifer species that occur in the three Pacific Coast states and beyond, color photos, accurate and updated range maps for each species, plus an elaborate key to aid with identification.
In the Company of Redwoods
An Interactive Guide to Learning 50 Redwood Community Plants through Hand Tinting
Biologist Casterson presents fifty redwood community plants found in the redwood’s range. The text for each plant describes its characteristics and other botanical facts about it. Each plant has a grey toned photo of that plant’s foliage and flower, tintable with colored pencils.
Alison Gardner and Merry Winslow have created the most comprehensive collection of wild mushroom recipes ever assembled. Full of ideas that you can also apply to store-bought mushrooms, this book will stimulate your imagination and guide your creativity.
Enjoy a clear view of the USA with this handsome map, perhaps the best and most representative map ever published of our country.
The artistry of Gerald Olmsted’s map and his quirky historical text are gently updated with new accurately-mapped trails and clearly delineated bike trails.
Ray Raphael’s classic award-winning people's history of California’s north coast is an evocative blend of oral history and narrative. As the subtitle says “Being the true story of Indians, deer, homesteaders, potatoes, loggers, trees, fishermen, salmon, and other living things in the back woods of Northern California.”
This book truly appeals to all West Coast tide pool and aquarium visitors. With excellent color photos, space for notes, and b&w photos designed to be colored in, this interactive book makes learning fun.
We at Bored Feet...
...proudly celebrate thirty-three years of publishing great guide books to California. We also feature a fantastic array of quality products from small independent presses. Each season finds us with a cornucopia of great new titles. Here are some of our favorites:
We love the excellent Bluewater satellite-image Maps, one of the most exciting maps lines we’ve ever sold. Bluewater features the great maps of Coastal California series of maps, and they also produce six great satellite-image maps of other western regions.
And don't miss our other map lines:
- Redwood Hikes Press: produces exquisitely detailed maps of SF Bay Area trails and most Redwood Parks.
- Tom Harrison Maps: famously accurate trail & recreation maps for California, including the Sierra Nevada and southern California.
- Earthwalk Press Maps: recreation maps for select western parks, travel destinations, & wilderness areas.
- Pease Press Maps: famously beautiful and accurate recreation maps of the greater San Francisco Bay area.
- Imus Geographics Maps: state maps for Alaska & Oregon, plus a topographic recreation map for the Sierra Nevada
A more few of our favorites:
- Prospero Art's playing card sets: Shakespeare Playing Cards: A quote from the Bard on every card! Plus Alice in Wonderland Playing Cards
- A must-have: Sierra Birds: A Hiker's Guide exhaustively covers—you guessed it— the birds of the Sierra.
- Pomegranate Roads is a must-read for pomegranate buffs, and if you're not a pomegranate buff yet, you willd after reading this..
- We proudly feature our Sierra author Sharon Giacomazzi’s books. Her twoExploring Eastern Sierra Canyons books: Sonora Pass to Pine Creek, and Bishop to Lone Pine, plus her Trails and Tales of Yosemite and the Central Sierra.
Special reduced price items:
- The Mendocino Coast Glove Box Guide
- Angels in the Wilderness
- Wild Birds of California
- The Granite Avatars of Patagonia
- Olaf Palm; A Life in Art
- Clueless George Presidential Library
- Wood, Water Air & Fire
- Say Yes Quickly
- Artist’s Choice
- America’s Vanishing Landscapes
And don‘t foget the books that made Bored Feet famous:
- The Hiker‘s hip pocket Guides
- Hiking the California Coastal Trail
- The Mendocino Coast Glove Box Guide
Who We Are (In Case You Didn't Know)
Bored Feet Press, a small publisher founded in 1986, is proud to celebrate our 30th year of providing great and accurate books and maps. We now publish twelve highly regarded guidebooks to California and four fine poetry titles. Since 1995 we’ve also been a distributor for carefully selected micro-publishers. Today we bring you the best in quality books and maps produced by more than 70 small publishers.